[HARDWARE] A load of motherboards: progress to date.

Mike Fisher mikefisher at mindless.com
Tue Jun 30 18:16:00 EDT 1998

At 10:32 PM 6/30/98 +0000, you wrote:
>A couple of months ago I posted my proposed plan to stick a load of
>motherboards in a box.
>There seemed to be some interest, so here's an update.
>
>I decided that a whole load of 486's was only going to be as good as a
>couple of Pentium-II's and probably not worth the effort.  So, I decided
>to go for Cyrix M2 200MHz chips (@233MHz) (good value I think).
>The idea was to keep the boards pretty well bare; CPU, fan, 8MB RAM,
>slim network card with EPROM boot chip, and to run multiple boards from
>a small number of large power supplies.
    [snip..]

Sounds pretty cool.. One question though, I thought AMD K5's were a bit
more efficient for the buck as far as keyrates went?

Overall though, I'm interested to hear how it eventually turns out.. Whats
the rough price range on the whole project?

If I had more money I'd like to try something similar, but unfortunately,
college does that to you...

Mike Fisher
mf33 at evansville.edu     |  Please encrypt anything important with PGP
mf779 at apci.net          |