[HARDWARE] Has anyone looked into USB networking for a small rack of motherboards.

Timothy Baldwin tim at reinhouse.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 1 22:55:15 EST 1998

In message <199811010859.CAA15214 at asterix>
          Joe Zbiciak <j-zbiciak1 at ti.com> wrote:

> SLIP is indeed merely an IP-encapsulation protocol, and if all of the
> required routes exist between any two given nodes, then yes, the IP
> routing layer will do all of the dirty work.

[snip]

> Every SLIP implementation I've ever seen expects to send and receive IP
> frames from the same host, and so I've always assumed that the SLIP
> protocol required at least a bi-directional link.

Some more RFC reading reveals that it is impossible to tell the RX and TX
wires are not connected to same host (unless higher level protocols are
used to find this out).

> Does anyone know of a _complete_ unidirectional SLIP implementation? :-)
> A simple high-level implementation of "send_packet" and "recv_packet"
> do exist in the RFC that can be used as a starting point.

Any SLIP implementation can be used unidirectionally.

--
http://www.reinhouse.demon.co.uk
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net