[HARDWARE] PC Killer?

Alexander Kruppa alexander.kruppa at stud.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Sep 1 17:55:00 EDT 1998

>         the machine unbootable. In some early displays, forcing
>         them to a refresh rate higher than that for which they
>         were designed could actually cause the CRTs to catch
>         fire (yes, an actual HCF (Halt and Catch Fire)
>         instruction).
>
>         Peter Trei

Reminds me of the infamous screens that came with the commodore PC20.
The graphics card supported CGA and Hercules modes, but when you
selected "Tandy" (another popular propietary mode at the time) in many
games, the unsupported horizontal retrace frequency would rush a too
high current through the deflection coils (sp?) and trash the rectifiers
(sp?), complete with funny smell and everything.
Every week, a different screen had to be replaced at our school.

(Its hard to put all that in english, I hope the words are right..)

Ciao,
  Alex.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net