[HARDWARE] D.U.N.C.E.

Matthew Toseland Matthew.Toseland at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 3 18:04:04 EDT 1998

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998, C Huffman wrote:
>I am kind of surprised that I don't hear or see more talk about DUNCE from
>Vector Development. It's that program that automates your dial-up
>connection to the net. http://www.vecdev.com/dunce.html
>
>I'm running it on 6 units so far. And I'd thought that I'd share this with
>anyone who hasn't heard of it yet.
>
>It allows you to connect AND DISCONNECT automatically at specified times of
>the day, or you can set it for "connect on demand" mode, but it doesn't
>disconnect automatically in that mode.
>
>Does anyone use this, or is there a better one out there, that I should be
>using?

Oh WOW... a) What does this have to do with RC5? Very little, but possibly
justifiable b) What does this have to do with distributed HARDWARE? Even
less...  And if you are running a dedicated cracker rack (HARDWARE, remember? -
just installing it on 500 work PCs doesn't count as hardware) - you will
presumably be running Linux (or possibly DOS if you don't need networking and
can't be bothered to set Linux up for the negligible performance increase from
multithreading, or have less than 2M RAM in each) - and so you can use a cron
job.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net