[HARDWARE] Cheap hardware

Wesley Lim weslim at iname.com
Thu Sep 24 00:09:26 EDT 1998

In future machines, make sure that you buy the ABIT BH6 board. I
recommend it for the best Celeron(A) overclocker for its cool SOFTWARE
features. Its totally jumperless I think. And its the easiest to use
it and overclock. You can even increase the voltage to the Celeron by
some minute amount to get it to work at 450mhz. It also has a PCI
divider to prevent your devices from going poof at too high bus
speeds. Its simply the best overclocking BX chipset board. Go for it.
One last thing, just make sure the Celeron you buy is the Mendicino
core and not the older one.
The older one does not have as much overclocking capacity.
Please correct if I made any wrong statements.

Hewgill
> Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 1998 12:26 PM
> To: hardware at lists.distributed.net
> Subject: [HARDWARE] Cheap hardware
>

> Ok, I'm going to try to build some cheap computing machines. So far,
I've
> ordered the following items (from Multiwave Direct, www.mwave.com):
>
> DCS P2BXA INTEL 440BX CHIPSET ATX M/B 1xAGP/4xPCI/3xISA/3xDIMM
> $95.00
> INTEL CELERON 300MHZ (OEM)
> $93.00
> MULTIWAVE 4X64 PC100 32MB SDRAM DIMM
> $38.50
> KINGSTON ETHERRX PNP KNE20T ISA 10BT (bare card)
> $16.00
> TRIDENT 9680 2MB PCI CARD
> $22.00
>
> Total ... $264.50
>
> The general idea here is to overclock the Celeron to 400 or 450
> MHz (I hear
> they're good for that). I couldn't find 16 MB of PC100 memory so
> I went for
> 32 MB. The Kingston ethernet card apparently has an NE2000
compatible
> (non-PNP) mode. I'll find a cheap ATX case somewhere, the
> cheapest ATX case
> Multiwave had was $50.
>
> As for software, I'm planning to boot the Linux kernel off the
floppy and
> mount an NFS root. I don't foresee any major problems doing that,
but I've
> never actually done it before. I read a bunch of howto's last
weekend, but
> any tips would be gratefully received. :) It doesn't have to be
Linux