[HARDWARE] Cheap hardware

Jameel Akari jakari at fribble.cie.rpi.edu
Wed Sep 23 12:32:26 EDT 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Greg Hewgill wrote:

> Ok, I'm going to try to build some cheap computing machines. So far, I've
> ordered the following items (from Multiwave Direct, www.mwave.com):

> KINGSTON ETHERRX PNP KNE20T ISA 10BT (bare card)

> 32 MB. The Kingston ethernet card apparently has an NE2000 compatible
> (non-PNP) mode. I'll find a cheap ATX case somewhere, the cheapest ATX case

	As you may know, the Kingston card needs a special DOS program to
configure it.  And, more importantly, it isn't quite fully NE2000, so you
can expect some flakiness.  I know, because I want to tear my KNE2021 out
of one of machines and trash it.  I've bought used 3Com 509's for $15,
and I'm much happier with them.  They too are software configured, but at
least the 3C5x9cfg program isn't as bad as Kingston's pile 'o crap.

Jameel Akari
Insert witty comment here
<http://fribble.cie.rpi.edu/~jakari>

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net