[HARDWARE] Cheap hardware

Paul Kenyon pkenyon at loctech.com
Wed Sep 23 13:16:38 EDT 1998

Greg Hewgill wrote:

> Ok, I'm going to try to build some cheap computing machines. So far, I've
> ordered the following items (from Multiwave Direct, www.mwave.com):
<SNIP
> INTEL CELERON 300MHZ (OEM)
> $93.00
<SNIP>
> The general idea here is to overclock the Celeron to 400 or 450 MHz (I hear
> they're good for that). I couldn't find 16 MB of PC100 memory so I went for
> 32 MB. The Kingston ethernet card apparently has an NE2000 compatible
> (non-PNP) mode. I'll find a cheap ATX case somewhere, the cheapest ATX case
> Multiwave had was $50.

What is the performance difference between same clockspeed Celeron and PII?
I would think that the onchip cache would make a hell of a difference.  I
have a PentiumMMX-233 (OC 250) on a TopGun motherboard (1MB cache), and it is
more than twice as fast as my P-133 at work.  And there is no difference in
the RC5 cores for MMX, just the DES cores.  I think the cache lets it churn
away a little bit quicker...  Of course, you just can't beat the price of
that celeron chip!  Now isnt the BX chipset for the 100MHz buss PII's?  Cause
I heard that you can't put the Celeron in a PII board.  Or maybee it was just
the other way around?  Anyways, it's obviously been done here.  I guess I
should take a look at Intel's bloated web page to figure all this stuff out.
One other thing - will celerons work in a dual processor board?

Paul

Paul Kenyon         <C/C++> <VB/Windows :-(>           pkenyon at loctech.com
Programming, Systems Engineering      <WAN/LAN> <ISDN :-)> <Other Telecom>
Location Technologies       http://www.loctech.com           (816)741-3169
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net