[HARDWARE] Cheap hardware

henriksh deacon at danbbs.dk
Wed Sep 23 23:21:47 EDT 1998

Greg Hewgill:

> Ok, I'm going to try to build some cheap computing machines. So far, I've
> ordered the following items (from Multiwave Direct, www.mwave.com):

> DCS P2BXA INTEL 440BX CHIPSET ATX M/B
> CELERON 300MHz
> 32MB SDRAM DIMM
> KINGSTON ETHERRX PNP KNE20T ISA 10BT
> TRIDENT 9680 2MB PCI CARD

> The general idea here is to overclock the Celeron to 400 or 450 MHz (I hear
> they're good for that).

They are great at that, because they have the same processor core as the Deschutes
and Xeon Pentium 2 processors. The RC5 client does a lot of math and just a little
memoryaccess, so the lack of L2 cache is negliable.

Wesley Lim:

> One last thing, just make sure the Celeron you buy is the Mendicino
> core and not the older one.
> The older one does not have as much overclocking capacity.
> Please correct if I made any wrong statements.

The Covington (aka. "The old Celery") has just as good overclocking capeabilities
as the Mendocino, but there exist a minute amount of Covingtons which do not offer
quite as good overclockin capeabilities as those made within the last few months.
I personally have encountered two 266Mhz Covingtons with the curcuit ID: 08280xxx,
which were pretty difficult to overclock. I managed to get one up and running at
400Mhz (4*100Mhz) by cutting the "1.8V -> 2.0V" connector, but that didn't work
for the other one, which I have only been able
to clock as far as 333Mhz(4*83.3Mhz). But just two days ago I bought two new 266
Covingtons which are able to run at 412Mhz without any modifications what so ever.

Their curcuit serial# is: 08270xxx. Does anyone else have a Celeron which is
reluctant to reach more that 333Mhz without modifications of any kind? And if so -
what's the serial number?

Paul Kenyon:

> One other thing - will celerons work in a dual processor board?

Paul Victor:

> they will, with a little "encouragement": take a look at
> http://www.cpu-central.com/dualceleron/index-dc.html
> this is NOT for the faint of heart.

I have tried to make these modifications too, and would like to share my "hard to
come by" knowledge with all of you.

The welding part of the modification is not that hard if you know the basic
welding techniques. When you attempt this for the first time, mark all the
soldering spots with a removable marker. Do this to make sure you have a good
overview of what you're going to connect and remove (All the pictures can be found
at cpu-central.com).
Next clip the wires in the proper lengts and attach the middle of the wires to the
curcuitboard so that the ends touch the areas where you are going to solder them.
Then do your best job at soldering, and remember to make an extremely precise and
effective soldering with the wire that connects to the edge-connector.
The difficult part is the drilling. Forget everything about using any kind of
machine for the drilling - relax - and carefully drill the hole in the
curcuitboard by hand.
If you measure where the pin is in contact with the edge connector on beforehand,
you use that as an indicator of when you have made the hole deep enough (Then
there obviously will be no connection, and you have drilled far enough).

When I run this set of 333Mhz Covingtons in my Asus P2B-D MB, i get a keyrate
around 1.88 Mkeys/sec.

Paul Kenyon:

> What is the performance difference between same
> clockspeed Celeron and PII?

I get about 2-5Kkeys both more and less.

Greg Hewgill:

> As for software, I'm planning to boot the Linux kernel off the floppy and
> mount an NFS root. I don't foresee any major problems doing that, but I've
> never actually done it before. I read a bunch of howto's last weekend, but
> any tips would be gratefully received. :) It doesn't have to be Linux
> either, if there's an easy way to make FreeBSD do that, that would work too.
> I'm more familiar with Linux though.

If I were you, I would get my hands on an old version of Novell Netware, run it on
a 386, and make a keyserver out of it. It would then be a simple task of making a
bootdisk (floppy) for the Celeron machine(s) which could map a shared drive in
MS-DOS with the buf-in/out files, and launch the DOS-client... If you ask for
Netware pre-V3.12, you should be able to "get it
thrown after you :-) "

Greg Hewgill:

> Comments anyone? Anything from "Good price!" to "That motherboard sucks"
> will be welcome. Remember, this is probably the first machine of several.

Well, if you want "that motherboard sucks stories" then I could tell about my
experience with modified and overclocked Celerons running on Intel-boards :-), but
I've already written too much... :-)

-- Henrik N. S. Hansen

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net