[HARDWARE] Cheap hardware

Jesper Monsted jesper at monsted.com
Wed Sep 23 23:31:54 EDT 1998

> What is the performance difference between same clockspeed Celeron and PII?
> I would think that the onchip cache would make a hell of a difference.  I
> have a PentiumMMX-233 (OC 250) on a TopGun motherboard (1MB cache), and it is
> more than twice as fast as my P-133 at work.  And there is no difference in
> the RC5 cores for MMX, just the DES cores.  I think the cache lets it churn
> away a little bit quicker...  Of course, you just can't beat the price of
> that celeron chip!  Now isnt the BX chipset for the 100MHz buss PII's?  Cause
> I heard that you can't put the Celeron in a PII board.  Or maybee it was just
> the other way around?  Anyways, it's obviously been done here.  I guess I
> should take a look at Intel's bloated web page to figure all this stuff out.
> One other thing - will celerons work in a dual processor board?

For RC5 and DES, the Celeron is just as fast as the P2/CeleronA.
The BX Chipset is for 100mhz FSB, but that works perfectly with a celeron
(my celeron 266 runs at 4x100 and does 1.15Mkeys/sec)
The Celerons and P2 use the same type of motherboard, both being Slot A
CPUs.

Jesper

| "We know where we want to go today!!" |
|    Go Linux! http://www.linux.org/    |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net