[HARDWARE] ongoing work

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Tue Apr 27 22:42:28 EDT 1999

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 09:57:58PM -0400, Darxus wrote:
> I am almost certain that is incorrect.  These contests are to measure the
> strength of the encryption.  If the encryption can be reversed, I'm pretty
> sure they'd want to know about it.

If the encryption can't be reversed, as you say, then you might as well just
delete your data.

The encryption most certainly *can* be reversed - RC5 is a symmetric cipher -
but it's fast and easy only if you actually know the key. The purpose of the
RC5 contest is to demonstrate the length of time it takes to break the
encryption *without* knowing the key.

Greg Hewgill
distributed.net Coding Team
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net