[HARDWARE] ongoing work

Matthew Smart mcsmart at engin.umich.edu
Wed Apr 28 12:10:47 EDT 1999

First, thanks to everyone for their comments.  I believe some notions of
what RC5 is and isn't and how the project is working were cleared up.

Second, in my original message I misspoke/mistyped and said you'd only have
to encrypt or decrypt "The ", but of course that's only the first 4 bytes.
As has been pointed out a few times, for RC5-32/12/8 the smallest block of
data to encrypt is 8 bytes.  It should be "The unkn" instead.

Third, the point about the IV is important, but doesn't change much.  It
simply adds an XOR at the beginning of the encryption algorithm or an XOR
and the end of the decryption algorithm.

Fourth, the code I wrote to encrypt and decrypt works on one of RSA Labs
sample (40-bit) tests, and numerous other published examples (RFC 2040,
Rivest's RC5 paper).

mattSMART