[HARDWARE] Anyone Know Prices?

Jesper Monsted jesper at monsted.com
Tue Oct 5 23:41:38 EDT 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 ENOJON at delphi.com wrote:
> turning off services in WinNT, OS/2 and daemons in Linux/Unixes
> (or "angels" in Jesux) helps increase key rate because the processing
> power is no longer divvied between the competing tasks/processes.

And more RAM is left over (rarely a problem when only rc5'ing, but at
normal times it might be) - some daemons eat up to 4-5 MB each.

> also, adding another processor onto the motherboard -- as anandtech.com
> testifies -- may not yield an exact "x2" or "x n" increase.  Processing
> power with clusters of cpu-mem-storage boxes linked via 'net or other
> high-speed links goes upward "x n" (n = # of boxes added to the cluster),
> with some latency for file-share locking etc.

When doing low-interrupt work like RC5, duals should get very close to 2x
speed as the system won't block CPU2 often.

/Jesper

"Microsoft does have a Year 2000 problem. We're it"
(c) unknown       - Go Linux! http://www.linux.org/

 Jesper Monsted - RIPE: JM42 - jesper at monsted.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net