[HARDWARE] Processor slow down....

Eugene Mah eugenem at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 12:57:47 EDT 1999

At 10:47 AM 07-10-1999 -0500, you wrote:
>My Celeron 333 oc'd to 515 was crunching at about 1.4 mkey's/sec.   I
>recently upgraded my modem and sound cards from an ISA Sportster 28.8
>and an ESS1688 based sound card to a PCI Winmodem 56k and CL Ensoniq PCI
>sound card.   when I did that, the keys dropped to 1.05 mkey's/sec...
>Are PCI devices, even when not being used (not connected to the
>internet, and not using any sound) still taxing the CPU?
>--
if i'm not mistaken, don't the winmodems use the CPU to do some of
the processing (like compression) before sending stuff out over
the phone line?  if so, perhaps this would account for some of the
keyrate decrease.

Eugene
Eugene Mah, M.Sc.                     eugenem at ix.netcom.com
Medical Physicist                     maheug at musc.edu
Department of Radiology               "For I am a Bear of Very Little
Medical University of South Carolina   Brain, and long words Bother
Charleston, South Carolina             me."   Winnie the Pooh
http://www.netcom.com/~eugenem/
PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4
PGP keys available on request         ICQ 3113529                 O-

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net