[HARDWARE] Processor slow down....

Charley McGee charleym at edmark.com
Thu Oct 7 12:07:08 EDT 1999

You problem, most likely, lies more with the soundcard than the modem.  If
it is a USR (or similar) modem, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it.  It is
still eating some cpu time with drivers and TSRs, but nothing huge.
However, the Ensoniq card has a really bad driver problem.  Pardon my
language, but they suck.  Yes, they are even worse than the ESS line,
although its debateable where the ESS Solo-1 is concerned.  I work for a
division of IBM that produces educational software for children.  In our
testing lab, we have several identical machines where the only differences
are in modem and soundcard.  Using Win98 and checking available system
resources, we find that the machine equipped with the Ensoniq 56PCI is at
LEAST 13% lower in system resources than the others at any given time in any
given environment.  If that doesnt indicate a shitty driver, I don't know
what does.