[HARDWARE] Processor slow down....

Drew Lanclos cutriss at null.net
Sat Oct 9 01:22:43 EDT 1999

I used to work at Office Depot, and curiosity struck me one day. We had
#5698, which specified NOTHING about being a software modem. I called 3Com,
and they told me otherwise. I inquired further...3Com told me that they
produce NO hardware-based PCI modems.
However, I've got an excellent one from KDS/Amquest. The drivers are off and
on...though. And one note of caution, if you're running NT. The modem wants
IRQ 9 first and foremost. Unless you've got the means to force it onto
something else, try to clear 9 for the modem. I had a 3Com Etherlink III PCI
in there, and NT wouldn't touch the modem since the 3Com had the IRQ first.
Oh...and the modem's docs don't say this, but the REAL website for the modem
is http://www.kdscanada.ca/. It's got a Rockwell PCI Serial Controller
processor. Works fine in 98...but I never could get it to work in NT...I've
since given up and put my old Sportster ISA in the NT machine and the
Amquest back in the Win98 box.