[HARDWARE] Rc5 and an ALR board

Travis Boucher lucifar at telusplanet.net
Tue Sep 14 18:15:08 EDT 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Eno Jon wrote:
> strange this should be mentioned--I'm acquiring my first dual Pent II board,
> soon--ALR.   Win2k vs. NT4.0, I would need to know if we're talking
> Professional, Server, or Advanced Server vs. Workstation, Server, BackOffice.
>
> Nt4.0 vs. 2k -- according to documentation, 2k offers "workload balancing"
> for multiple server "clusters".  Meaning, if two servers run SQL server
> and share drives on LAN, db requests/queries are routed to the processor
> most likely to service request in a given response time.  Also, 2k supposedly
> re-priortizes tasks according to resource needs--cpu  required, etc.
>
> It's no OS/390, but effective for small to medium loads.

I still think if you are running a SQL server, or anything else for that matter
that you should use Linux which has had support for TRUE TCP/IP and SMP since
some of the earliest kernals.

I think that anyone sitting on the edge of thier seat waiting for a Microcrap
OS needs help.  Every other OS that Microcrap has ever put out was a
disapointment.

Travis Boucher
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net