[HARDWARE] Rc5 and an ALR board

stoney at sequent.com stoney at sequent.com
Mon Sep 13 18:48:06 EDT 1999

Linux SMP kernels before 2.0 used a master slave lock and approached
the performance of a uniprocessor when too many IO requests (MMIO)
were made.  Only recently has Linux had course grained locking.

A single application needs to be threaded (user threads) before you can
take advantage of multiple processors; otherwise you only gain the ability
to concurrently do other OS/utility tasks.  If your application is split
into different processes then you don't need to be threaded.