[HARDWARE] Rc5 and an ALR board

ENOJON at delphi.com ENOJON at delphi.com
Tue Sep 14 15:36:21 EDT 1999

<<
Linux SMP kernels before 2.0 used a master slave lock and approached
the performance of a uniprocessor when too many IO requests (MMIO)
were made.  Only recently has Linux had course grained locking.

A single application needs to be threaded (user threads) before you can
take advantage of multiple processors; otherwise you only gain the ability
to concurrently do other OS/utility tasks.  If your application is split
into different processes then you don't need to be threaded.   >>

Agreed.   Multiple processing is only useful for threaded apps or
parallel computing apps where collision of memory, i/o & cache
access can be limited.  I think anatech.com has a paper on the
concepts of SMP and fallacies of assuming 2 400mhz PIII's=800mhzPIII.

Interesting read.

But, the Rc5 has good threading--as far as I can tell from my OS/2
client running 4 threads in a single session on a uniprocessor.
The win95 client also does multi-threading (as well as it can for
w95/98).

Taking the multiprocessor concept a tweak further--a PowerMac PPC(120mhz)
with PC-compatibility card sharing a "folder" of buff-in is humming along
at about 2 (1*2^28) blocks per hour--slow, but.. should give someone
an idea.
The PC side is running w95; mac os on the other side. [yes, i know, i
know, i should be running linux, but linux doesn't have pc-card support?]

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net