[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Jameel Akari jakari at fribble.cie.rpi.edu
Wed Sep 15 01:46:05 EDT 1999

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Zach Edwardson wrote:

> Would it be possible to develop a Pc card for computers that uses a
> Inxepensive chip, with say 4-8 megs of ram, to crack Rc5 (or just to be

	Certainly it is possible.  You could lay out the RC5 algorithm in
hardware, all pipelined and superscalar, and it'd haul ass, but there's
nowhere near enough market to get the price even to $100, let alone $50.

	I've thought of doing this with one of the available FPGA boards
outthere (we have DEC Pamettes and Wildfires, if anyone recognizes those)
which certainly have enough gate to do it.  But that would require many
hours of design work to do it right, plus software development (make the
client work with the cards).  Plus a Pamette runs about $5K a piece...

Jameel Akari
Insert witty comment here
<http://fribble.cie.rpi.edu/~jakari>
ICQ: 27182003