[HARDWARE] PAM, CeepDrack (filter this :), FPGAs

stoney at sequent.com stoney at sequent.com
Wed Sep 15 13:25:57 EDT 1999

Yes, a former Digital Research Lab in France was doing research
on PAM boards in order to accelerate applications that are not
well supported by general purpose microprocessors.  One application
that they implemented was real time decryption of a DES stream.

The PAM board contains fpgas to implement the bus interface, fpgas
to implement the algorithms that a general purpose CPU does not
implement well (chinese remainder, etc), and SRAM.

  http://www.research.digital.com/PRL/publications/pam.html

  Schneier, Bruce,
  "Applied Cryptography : Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C"
  John Wiley and Sons 1995

Deep Crack used a low tech ASIC to implement 24 search engines for
a brute force attack to DES.  They put many of these ASICS on a board
and many boards in a modified Sun chassis.  They used a i486 sys to
poll the boards for search engines w/ intresting matches to check w/
software.

  http://www.replay.com/cracking_des/crack-1-4.html

They partitioned the problem between software and hardware to increase
their capabilities.  Development of an ASIC is beyond the resources
of most individuals, but an FPGA solution would be feasible.  You
wouldn't be able to easily beat DeepCrack, but you would be able to
solve your problem faster and learn a great amount.

Another problem you would have is having multiple layer PCB boards
fabricated to handle the signal integrity problems you would have w/
bus speeds beyond 10-15MHz.  You might be able to clock the device
faster w/ less layers, but not the busses between them.

Graphics processors are a great solution to graphics problems.  You
don't saturate your processor bus w/ traffic and you allow your proc
to work on more important tasks.  The KEY is not saturating your bus.

Producing graphics boards is a tough business.  The volume is high
enabling cost savings from econimies of scale, but the margin is
much lower.

Develop a PCI board w/ FPGAs and SDRAM after you have played w/ an
FPGA development board.

  http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~mperkows/RECONFIGURABLE/reconfigurable.html