[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Aaron Kramer aaron.kramer at ins.com
Wed Sep 15 16:49:38 EDT 1999

>From http://www.replay.com/cracking_des/crack-1-4.html

>Budget
>
>The whole project was budgeted at about US$210,000. Of this, $80,000 is for
the labor of designing, integrating, and testing >the DES Cracker. The other
$130,000 is for materials, including chips, boards, all other components on
the boards, card >cages, power supplies, cooling, and a PC.

>The software for controlling the DES Cracker was written separately, as a
volunteer project. It took two or three weeks of >work.

>The entire project was completed within about eighteen months. Much of that
time was used for preliminary research, before >deciding to use a custom
chip rather than FPGA's. The contract to build custom chips was signed in
September, 1997, about >eight months into the project. The team contained
less than ten people, none of whom worked full-time on the project. They
>include a project manager, software designer, programmer, chip designer,
board designer, hardware technicians, and hardware >managers.

Aaron Kramer
aaron_kramer at ins.com