[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Joseph Kaye jkaye at isd.net
Wed Sep 15 18:12:57 EDT 1999

Jameel Akari wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Jesper Monsted wrote:
>
> > > Didn't or doesn't the EFF have some sort of custom chip that they used
> > > for cracking?  I thought I read about it somewhere, and it looked like
> >
> > Yes, they built them themselves and had dem manufactured especially for
> > the project.
>
>         Which means they cost plenty.  I think the machine (Deep Crack)
> cosst $200K to build.  I'm guessing that probably 75% of that is spent on
> chip design and fabrication.
>
>         Chips only get cheap when you make thousands of them.

Hmmmm - wonder if they could do another run of the chips.  Putting one
or 2 of them on a PCI card with one of our talented programmers making a
driver for the RC5 client.  I would pick up 5-6 of them depending on the
price, and performance

--
-Joseph Kaye
SHO Registry  MNSHOC

'89 White Lincoln Mark VII LSC 100k miles
K&N Filter in the Stock Box
225/60-16 CompTA HR4-2

'90 Titanium SHO 143k miles - RIP

'92 Black SHO  92k miles - RIP