[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Jameel Akari jakari at fribble.cie.rpi.edu
Thu Sep 16 17:32:34 EDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Dan Oetting wrote:

> Have any of you tried doing the math?

	No, I'll admit to being less than familiar with the algorithm.

> bringing the total to 1696 gates per iteration (the fixed rotate is free!)
> There are 26 iterations in each of 3 rounds (we're over 132k gates now).

	Yes, but do you really need to pipeline it that much?  Could you
do it with a single 1700-ish gate iterative block, and just cycle it
around 26 times?  You'd need flags and storage registers, but these are
fairly abundant on FPGAs.

	To get more throughput, there may be room to have several of
these iterative blocks in parallel.  Pipelining it (serially) will
replicate a lot of pieces over and over again.

> results that carry between the stages. In RC5 there are 29 x 32bit
> registers that need to be latched between stages needing another 2k gates

	The registers (in Xilinx 4000 series) are just that- you don't
have to build them out of individual gates.

> layout. These gate arrays don't allow random point to point connections.
> They are constrained by the interconnect grid.

	Right.  Really slow, lossy, nasty interconnect at that, which you
may not be able to route correctly.  You may have better performance if
you split the design into several somewhat smaller fpgas.

Jameel Akari
Insert witty comment here
<http://fribble.cie.rpi.edu/~jakari>
ICQ: 27182003