[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: [HARDWARE] Just Courious......]]

Marcus Gillette gate at zipcon.net
Fri Sep 17 10:27:58 EDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: William J [on the road] Halverson <william at netpros.net>

> A. Does the group think we can get reasonble commitments for 750 units?

It depends on marketing.  If the distributed.net website would consider
adding a page/description about this device [what is it to be called anyway?
don't we have to think of something clever and witty?],  I'd imagine we
could get far more than 750 units.  Anyone who is seriously into this
project would probably consider purchasing one.  And it is probably likely
that some would consider purchasing more than one.  The key here is pass
this beyond the hardware mailing list and see what kind of interest there
really would be.

If you can get twice the break even point, price per unit should be cut in
half.  Price is everything here... I wouldn't consider spending $300 for the
unit, regardless of the keyrate.  I have a feeling I'm not the only cheap
bastard out there.

> B. Can someone do an estimate of the kk/sec break-rate rating of such a
> beast-board?

I think this is the next step.  One of you wiz's should definately try and
work out an estimate here.  It's the only way we'll know if it's even worth
it.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net