[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: [HARDWARE] Just Courious......]]

Chi K. Chan ckchan at interport.net
Fri Sep 17 13:52:23 EDT 1999

It might be a hard sell at $300, unless it can really crunch through those keys
and it is re-programmable to do other tasks.  I say this because you can build
a dual celeron box with minimum ram and slap on a ethernet card, for $300 or less.
And you get 2+MKeys/sec.

I don't know much about FPGAs, are they programmable like CPUs, or are they
only one time programmable?

How about a board that can hold a number PowerPC based microcontrollers?
PowerPC chips are known to give good key rates per sec, and the embedded
version of the chip might have enough on chip RAM and I/O to cut down on
chip count and cost.

About a year ago, someone mentioned using a DSP chip to process keys,
I think it was using a SHARC chip from Analog devices.  Any news on that ?

Thanks,
Chi K. Chan