[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Fri Sep 17 14:49:50 EDT 1999

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 08:06:54PM +0300, Stelios Koroneos wrote:
> Grettings to all,
>
> Taking into account an e-mail to the list from someone in d.net (sorry i don't
> have the name) it seems that even if the board is build the chances of modifing
> the clients to work with it are rather slim...
> Its better, if there is enough interest to start planning a device for some other
> competition or for...general use.

I would not assume that the odds of us officially supporting a custom hardware
device are slim. We would need to look at what kind of potentail risks this
opens us up to from a data integrity standpoint, ie: how do we know that
each of these custom pieces of hardware is working correctly and that we can
trust the data from them?

These are questions that we are just now beginning to consider, so it's not
fair to assume that we wouldn't endorse such an effort. We've seen discussions
about custom hardware before on this list, and they've all lead nowhere. This
one seems to be more serious, so we'll probably take this opportunity to
consider whether this is something that our network could support.

Moo!
dB!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net