[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

mRgOBLIN goblin at scooter.co.nz
Sat Sep 18 22:50:56 EDT 1999

Jesper Monsted wrote:

> [snip]
> > Now regarding to cost, cracking speeds etc...
> >
> > When Jasper Monstead said he implemented the RC5 on the AVR i asked him for more
> > info and told me that his code was doing approx 10kkeys. Assuming that he was
> > using a 12 mhz AVR, this on 64 card would translate to 640kkeys.
> > Cost of the card (hardware only)
> > 64 pcs  90s2343 x 1,5$                           =  96
> > 64 pcs 12 Mhz resonators x 0,5$             =  32
> > 1 pc    90s8515 x  5$                               =    5
> > 1 prototype board designed inhouse   30$ =  30
> >
> >                               Total                              163$
> >
> > Development cost  0 (It was a interesting project to do :-)
> >
> > Well does it worth it ? You have to tell me that as i don't have a clue what a
> > good key rate should be...
> > One last note.
> > If instead of the AVR we use the SCENIX mcu at 50Mhz (there is 100Mhz variant
> > also) since this is also a RISC with most instructions single cycle, the
> > price/performace ratio will be a bit better for the 50Mhz (50Mhz SCENIX approx 5$
> > per pcs at 100 pcs order) and much much better at 100Mhz... Any takers ?
> >
> > Please understand that the above are ideas and hands on implementation of some of
> > the ideas so a final workign system might require modifications...
> >
> > Ideas, congratulations :-) and critisism :-( are welcome
>
> Well, congratulations on actually having a concept done (when the rest of
> us are just blowing hot air :))
>
> Unfortunately, the keyrate/price is not quite as good as it would be,
> using regular PC parts, networked together :(
>
> [all danish prices]
> Abit BH6 main board     $110
> Celeron 433 (->600?)    $110
> Crappo network card     $20
> Floppy drive            $20
> Total:                  $260
>
> Roughly twice the price, but triple the performance at approx.
> 1.6mkeys, and could probably be improved greatly by using a BP6
> mainboard and dual celerons...
>
> Cool idea, i just think the crack engines need to be spiffed up a bit -
> maybe your infrastructure and a FPGA or other crack engine?
>
> /Jesper
>
> "Microsoft does have a Year 2000 problem. We're it"
> (c) unknown       - Go Linux! http://www.linux.org/
>
>  Jesper Monsted - RIPE: JM42 - jesper at monsted.com

Yeah I just put together a system.
I'll try to roughly convert to $US
ABIT BP6  $150.00
2x 366a Celerons $150.00 for the pair

overclocking them at 523Mhz
Running  <plug> SLACKWARE LINUX </plug>
and getting 2.93Mkeys and one helluva  big smile :)
And for my money .....I can play Quake or write a letter to Granny with it  :)

As I see it ...... also take into consideration the advances in CPU Mhz and
architechture are reducing  the cost per kkey/sec at quite a fast rate .
So whatever this piece of hardware can do would have to be pretty impressive.......

BTW anyone have any keyrates from an Athlon yet ?

mRgOBLIN

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net