[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Jesper Monsted jesper at monsted.com
Sat Sep 18 19:24:28 EDT 1999

> > Unfortunately, the keyrate/price is not quite as good as it would be,
> > using regular PC parts, networked together :(
> >
> > [all danish prices]
> > Abit BH6 main board     $110
> > Celeron 433 (->600?)    $110
> > Crappo network card     $20
> > Floppy drive            $20
> > Total:                  $260
> >
> > Roughly twice the price, but triple the performance at approx.
> > 1.6mkeys, and could probably be improved greatly by using a BP6
> > mainboard and dual celerons...
>
> You need a Hard drive, also. And an OS. (Yes, you can put Linux, FreeBSD, etc it's
> free), unless you develop a networked OS that stays on a floppy to boot. And some RAM
> also.
> And the Internet Connection? Via a proxy on a real "full" PC? OK, but then you need a
> hub to mount a network, and a NIC on the real PC. Hmm... Your price has quite a bit
> swollen, no?

Why do you think i added the floppy? =)

OK, i forgot some BNC network cable and a few T-connectors, but those
won't cost anything notable...

For the OS, linux (ofcourse :)), running off the floppy, mounting whatever
it needs from NFS from my linux server and using it as a proxy as well (or
the proxy could run on the cracker itself, wouldn't matter much). The
internet connection would be listed under "operational expenses" along
with power etc and wouldn't be any different from the hardware crackers...

/Jesper

"Microsoft does have a Year 2000 problem. We're it"
(c) unknown       - Go Linux! http://www.linux.org/

 Jesper Monsted - RIPE: JM42 - jesper at monsted.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net