[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Jesper Monsted jesper at monsted.com
Sun Sep 19 01:21:07 EDT 1999

> > >You need a Hard drive, also. And an OS. (Yes, you can put Linux, FreeBSD,
> > etc it's
> >
> > Heard of bootp/tftp?
>
> No, never but I feel I would love to.

Simply put: a clever way of booting from the network, not needing floppies
or harddrives (requires a PROM on the network card though, but they're
very cheap).

> > >free), unless you develop a networked OS that stays on a floppy to boot.
> > And some RAM
> > >also.
> > >And the Internet Connection? Via a proxy on a real "full" PC? OK, but then
> > you need a
> > >hub to mount a network, and a NIC on the real PC. Hmm... Your price has
> > quite a bit
> > >swollen, no?
> >
> > Hmmmm... You can use 10b2 (no hub), I wouldn't have a machine without a
> > network interface (all 11 have'em).
>
> If you already have a network, you will probably have a hub (if needed by your
> network topology), with probably some free ports, OK. If you don't? Many don't, am
> I wrong?

With coax networking there's no need for a hub - and that NIC for the real
PC would cost you probably $10-20...

/Jesper

"Microsoft does have a Year 2000 problem. We're it"
(c) unknown       - Go Linux! http://www.linux.org/

 Jesper Monsted - RIPE: JM42 - jesper at monsted.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net