[HARDWARE] my $0.02 re: dedicated crack boxes

Robert Norton rjn at execpc.com
Sun Sep 19 15:51:35 EDT 1999

Paul Everett wrote:

> <snip>
> You've still got the problem, as pointed out by one of our friends at
> distributed.net on this list, of integrating the FPGA with the
> distributed.net network.

Assuming access to the current client source code, I would imagine that the inner
cracking loop would be replaced by code to send the block start number to the cracker,
and get back whether or not there was a possible hit in the block.  The entire rest of
the code would be unchanged, just substitute the inner loop for the hardware, and a
simple serial transmit/receive protocol, whether RS-232 or USB.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net