[HARDWARE] Just Curious......]]

Jameel Akari jakari at fribble.cie.rpi.edu
Mon Sep 20 00:07:19 EDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Robert Norton wrote:

> More great info, thanks!  I think the prototyping would have to be done as a short run at a surface
> mount house.  FPGA design would have to be validated in simulation, wouldn't it?  Would it be too big

	No, and sorta.  To start, you can do it using an evaluation board
for that chip.  NOt a finished product, but you can verify it.  And
initial simulation can be done- even timing dependent simulation- as long
as you're willing to wait for place & route "compile" runs.

	The whole idea behind with FPGAs is that they are quickly
reprogrammable, so you don't *have* to simulate everything.  You *should*
simulate as much as possible, and then start beating on the real hardware,
slowly cranking up the clock until it "breaks".  The sims aren't 100%
accurate.

Jameel Akari
Insert witty comment here
<http://fribble.cie.rpi.edu/~jakari>