Alternative Options (was: Re: [HARDWARE] my $0.02 re: dedicated crack boxes)

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Mon Sep 20 02:48:59 EDT 1999

I don't see much need for a coordinated project for this kind of thing,
unless someone wants to put the software into a nice easy to install
format. I'd venture that most of us on this list are very capable of
putting a bunch of motherboards into a rack.

If you want to get really creative, see if you can figure out some way
to eliminate as much of the extra hardware as possible... use PPP via
the serial ports for example (especially usefull, since it gets rid of
the big NICs).

As for some of the other options presented, they should be looked at,
but I know that we'll never get anywhere if a line isn't drawn somewhere
as to what the features will be. Yes, we'd obviously like fast, cheap,
and good, but you can only have 2 of the 3.

There's already a lot of work done on the FPGA concept, and as complex
as it is, it's still _FAR_ simpler than trying another approach, such as
designing boards that would use some kind of regular micro running at a
high clock speed (where layout becomes *critical*).

Just inserting my own $0.02 worth of reality.
dB!