[HARDWARE] my $0.02 re: dedicated crack boxes

ENOJON at delphi.com ENOJON at delphi.com
Mon Sep 20 12:40:08 EDT 1999

<<Paul Everett wrote:

> <snip>
> You've still got the problem, as pointed out by one of our friends at
> distributed.net on this list, of integrating the FPGA with the
> distributed.net network.Assuming access to the current client source code, I would imagine that the inne
cracking loop would be replaced by code to send the block start number to the cr
acker,
and get back whether or not there was a possible hit in the block.  The entire r
est of
the code would be unchanged, just substitute the inner loop for the hardware, an
d a
simple serial transmit/receive protocol, whether RS-232 or USB.>>

since the card would be presumably a PCI co-processor, wouldn't the interface
to distributed.net be via the main processor's net connection--vaia SMTP or
direct connection?  But, you'd still need to know file format of d-net's
buffers.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net