[HARDWARE] Just a few question :)+>

R. Bruch rbruch at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 21 20:13:21 EDT 1999

I hope people will bear with me on this question, because although it
isn't directly about rc5 hardware stuff, I think it still could be of
interest to people who want to build a good rc5 cracking PC.

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Hunter S. wrote:

> You said (on Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:20:13 +0100) -

> > *snip* Some questions about building a dual celeron box *snip*

Then,

> > I've heard about limitations on overclocking celeron 400 MHz ...
> > Which to choose ??

Hunter S. replies:

> I would get dual Celeron 366 ppga (socket 370). Tested at 550 generally cost
> about $100, and non tested can be had for $60 (I speak of OEMs, since they are
> the most likely to overclock, contrary to all previous chips).
>
> If you get an untested Celeron 366 ppga, depending on the week, you could have
> up to a 95% success rate overclocking to 550Mhz. On the Celeron 400, however,
> the most you are guaranteed of is 450, and ou might, with SIGNIFICANT luck and
> very nice cards, hit 498.

Okay, here's my question.  I also am interesting in building a celeron
powered box, but with just one processor.  I am hoping to overclock it,
but I have heard about some problems.  The first thing I've heard is that
Intel has locked the multiplier on the celeron, leaving the only way to
overclock is by increasing bus speed.  Now I don't have a problem with
this but then I've also heard that now the celeron detects bus speed and
will only run on a 66 Mhz bus.  Is this true?  I've also heard there is
some way of bypassing one or both of these problems, but not been able to
find any direct answers.  Maybe these problems are only on the
newer, higher speed celerons?  I have not managed, after a bunch of web
surfing, to come up with a definitive answer.  So the question is, which
celerons are the best price/performance, taking into consideration
overclocking potential?

Oh, another thing.  I am also looking at the socket 370 variety.  I have
noticed in price listings a distinction made between, say "400MMX PPGA"
(which means socket, right?) and "400MMX 128KB".  So does that mean that
some celerons have the L1 cache and some don't?  I've read that the 128KB
of L1 cache can go a long way toward making up the difference between the
celeron and the PII with its larger L2 cache.  So, if possible I'd like to
get a celeron with the cache.

> *snip* Helpful hint about cooling *snip*

> *snip* Helpful hint about IRC #celeron *snip*

> Hope this helps,
> Hunter S.

I appreciate any help given!

Thanks,