[HARDWARE] Just Courious......

Thomas Smith jester7 at wintek.com
Tue Sep 21 23:35:01 EDT 1999

I have made a linux boot disk w/ a rc5des client.  It's pretty easy, actually.  Get
the root.bin (grab it at
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/root.bin (use
a local mirror!)) file.  It's a gzipped image of a filesystem, I think it's ext2 but it
might be fat.  After you unzip it, either copy it to a ramdisk and mount it, or use
the loopback device and mount it.  you will need to get rid of the debian install
executable, and change the startup scripts around.  after you're done, gzip it
back up again and keep it.  then, you can use one of the various boot loaders
such as syslinux, or you can dd the kernel directly onto the floppy and then dd
the filesystem onto the floppy with an offset, and use some arcane(TM) utility to
modify some configuration bits.  look for docs on initrd for more specific
directions on the latter method.  Buffers can be taken care of by sneakernet, or
you can compile the right drivers into the kernel.

this isn't exactly a distro, but it's a pretty simple home-brew(TM) method.

-- Thomas Smith: jester7 at wintek.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net