[HARDWARE] Overclocking CPUs

Hector Herrera hectorh at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 15:32:25 EDT 1999

At 01:04 PM 22/09/99 , you wrote:
>As more advance (faster) cpus are released, price of older cpus will
>fall drastically.  So, it does pays to overclock your cpu, as long as
>your system remain stable (nothing is more valuble, than your data).
>Because in 2 years, your cpu will be practically worthless.
>So, why not squeeze he last drop of power from it as soon as possible,
>and get your money's worth ?

Just because a CPU is worthless, I won't automatically retire it.  In fact,
my Firewall is running on my first computer which is a 6-year old 486-66,
and it does it's job perfectly.

The same could be applied to a Celeron cracking RC5 two years from now,
if it still works, why get rid of it?  You could buy better faster processors,
but since the Celeron is worthless, then the cost of cracking on it is zero
( besides energy consumption )

My point is that a normal CPU might give you ten years of CPU time, while
an over clocked CPU might give you 5 years ( I am just pulling numbers out
of a hat, if anyone has better numbers feel free to correct me )

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net