[HARDWARE] Overclocking CPUs

Chi K. Chan ckchan at interport.net
Thu Sep 23 01:47:44 EDT 1999

> At 01:04 PM 22/09/99 , you wrote:
> >As more advance (faster) cpus are released, price of older cpus will
> >fall drastically.  So, it does pays to overclock your cpu, as long as
> >your system remain stable (nothing is more valuble, than your data).
> >Because in 2 years, your cpu will be practically worthless.
> >So, why not squeeze he last drop of power from it as soon as possible,
> >and get your money's worth ?
>

> Just because a CPU is worthless, I won't automatically retire it.  In fact,
> my Firewall is running on my first computer which is a 6-year old 486-66,
> and it does it's job perfectly.
>
> The same could be applied to a Celeron cracking RC5 two years from now,
> if it still works, why get rid of it?  You could buy better faster processors,
> but since the Celeron is worthless, then the cost of cracking on it is zero
> ( besides energy consumption )
>
> My point is that a normal CPU might give you ten years of CPU time, while
> an over clocked CPU might give you 5 years ( I am just pulling numbers out
> of a hat, if anyone has better numbers feel free to correct me )

I'm not saying to toss out old CPUs, in fact I have a bunch of 386s and 486s that
are still running. (linux)  I'm saying as long as a CPU can run stable at a
Overclocked speed, why not do it and saving a few buckswhile you're at it?
If the CPU does die in a few years, you can always get a replacement chip for
next to nothing.

Chi

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net