[HARDWARE] Mac Questions -

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Mon Mar 11 15:32:16 EST 2002

Actually the numbers below are off 1 and 2 orders of magnitude. Nearly every
desktop system has minimum power of 50w including power supply losses (first
order of magnitude) and DNET will only give the winning client a fraction of
the RSA prise (second order of magnitude).

Why the global community wants to donate billions of dollars to RSA is a total
crock when maybe the cycles should be spent toward some good that will benifit
man kind - like detailed weather, genetic and drug simulations. There are thousands
of researchers who can not get enough cycles, and we toss them away here.

John

	Compute the cost of the electricity to keep this machine running when the
	only thing it's doing is crunching blocks. Divide the electric cost by
	the time it takes you to process 1 block to get your cost per block. Now
	divide the $10,000 RSA prize by number of blocks remaining in the contest
	to get the expected gain per block (currently that's $0.0000005 or 1/20
	thousanth of a penny per block). If your computer uses only 5 watts and
	it takes an hour to complete a block and electricity is $.10 per kwh your
	cost per block is $.10/1000 * 5 /1 or $0.0005. Your costs are 100 times
	larger than your expected gains so why do you do it?

	If you are running the client to contribute to the global cause let's
	look at the global numbers. If we multiply your cost per block by the
	total number of blocks processed so far we get $0.0005 * 68.7 trillion =
	$34+ million. This is the cost of electricity alone that has already been
	burned by the distributed.net clients cracking RC5-64. And we can expect
	to burn another 5 million before the key is found. Is it really worth it?

	-- Dan O.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net