[HARDWARE] Mac Questions -

Oliver Otte rc5list at seo.de
Tue Mar 12 16:54:53 EST 2002

> The point was that the prize is only $10,000 to complete a puzzle that
> has no lasting benifits for society.

This 'puzzle' may not be for a benefit for everybody, but it may be for a large group of people.
Besides that somebody can say 'Why should I let my PC search for a cure of a disease I don't have or will never get ?'.
The least people will do it for a 'social' reason.

Don't get me wrong. I would switch to 'medicine' distributed stuff IMMEDITALY if somebody show me a project that is in the hand of a NON-PROFIT organization ! I don't want to waste cycles by searching for a medicine one company
will sell for a high price!

(I'm pretty sure somebody will point me to folding.stanford.edu now ... and I am considering switching projects after finishing RC5. I don't want those blocks I've done to be wasted by quitting now.)

> on this project, which in $/PCDay 50w*24h/1000kw*$0.10kwh=$.12 per PCDay
> works out to roughly 68,506,259*.12 = $8.2M of global natural resources

You are missing the most important point of my last post.
The most computers don't do RC5 ONLY, they do work, they are used to play computer games and stuff.
Those 'ressources' are ''wasted'', with or without doing RC5.

They would even been wasted when doing nothing besides normal stuff.

The difference between you and me is just that you are stating "'Waste' the ressources on an important project !"
How can you tell that those distributed medicine projects will ever come up with something useful ?

> So I stand by the original statement ... and ask "Is there not some more
> useful purpose to spend Dnet cycles that will benifit our global society?"

This question is wrong.
You could ask that question in every relation ("Are your working on something that our society can benefit from ?").

BTW, I wish I would live in a society where people only do stuff that the whole society can benefit from!

regards,
Oliver Otte

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe hardware' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net