[HARDWARE] Cost of crunching (was: Mac Questions)

George Mogiljansky mogil_jan at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 18 12:15:58 EST 2002

Hi John,
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't bandwidth associated/proportional at some
stage with energy consumption? And isn't increased bandwith requirement
associated with high speed/cable access?

Regarding your quasi-political comments in a later e-mail, I heartily
agree. There exist a myriad of other ways to conserve energy in the USA,
but the oil lobby, the tax structure/system and general perceptions among
the American decision-making class about life and lifestyle preclude at the
moment a serious discussion of this topic.
I would have added, just for openers: rewriting the building code(s) to
allow only well-insulated buildings (for both hot and cold climates),
alternative energy (also forcing energy-conserving ideas/patents from out
of the grip of vested interests) and its implementation (eg. the use of
hybrid auto engines is a success for Toyota running 5 or 6 model years now,
with Honda and Ford making big advances), a healthier attitude towards meat
consumption (the energy needed to raise one pound of beef is well
documented), and other issues (see the classic book "Small is Beautiful").
And we don't have to retreat to the technological middle ages: e.g.
renaissanceproject.com is one example of el-cheapo space travel, and there
is an ongoing race (prize is US $10 million) to put two persons into
near-earth orbit in two consecutive launches using readily available
non-proprietary 'household' materials/homegrown tools and such.
I thank John and all the others for providing me a forum to rant...
George