[HARDWARE] Cost of crunching (was: Mac Questions)

Jack Beglinger jackb_guppy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 17:38:56 EST 2002

> The LCIII that started this thread is half the power, and one third the
> performance of the 486 Thord tested ... significantly worse power efficiency. My
> position is that these marginal machines are wasting huge amounts of power for
> almost no benifit - We as the Dnet community should suggest that they just get
> turned off.

Thank-you for bringing this to light.  I "recuse" old machines and find new
homes for them.  But I had not though about the power angle -  Todays
machines use about the same amount of power as the old ones, but for less
benefit.

It is time to upgrade my 486 firewall, to 686 and get DNET blocks cracked on
side.

Thanks again

jackb