[Hardware] The market of ASICs (One GigaKey / Second?)

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Mon Aug 9 21:01:15 EDT 2004

"Dan Oetting" <dan_oetting at uswest.net> write:
> Some day I may have to get back into this. The benchmarks produced for
> the G5 look a little on the slow side. But it's all on the back burner
> because I can't convince myself that RC5-72 is worth pursuing. Without
> a major breakthrough the time to crack the code can simply be
> extrapolated from the previous results. And the cost for the
> electricity to run the CPUs alone is orders of magnitude greater than
> the reword.

Hmm ... when I made that comment several years ago I just about got killed
by the dnet community. I still think that dnet superstructure would be
much more useful doing public domain genome processing or some physical
science problem that has a hope of helping humanity. As it stands all
dnet is doing is giving RSA free marketing, and provides an incentive for
the stats hounds to leave computers on that should be turned off.

That's not to say that chasing RC5 should be abandoned, as taking a few
hundred thousand old FPGA's out of the trash and recycling them in to
code breakers could be a new fun past time.