[Hardware] The market of ASICs (One GigaKey / Second?)

Dan Oetting dan_oetting at uswest.net
Mon Aug 9 22:09:56 EDT 2004

On Aug 9, 2004, at 7:01 PM, jbass at dmsd.com wrote:

> That's not to say that chasing RC5 should be abandoned, as taking a few
> hundred thousand old FPGA's out of the trash and recycling them in to
> code breakers could be a new fun past time.

That can't happen until the experimenters can interface the client to
their custom hardware. And you won't be able to interface anything
until the code for the operational client is open source. And the code
can't be open source until the project adopts a means of verifying the
integrity of the work performed on each piece of hardware.

This issue goes back a long way. If you look in the d.net site under
source code you will find a link to "Operational code verification". In
there you should find a reference to "inline testing". I proposed this
back when RC5-56 was still running. It's a simple enhancement where the
server can test 1 key and know that the client probably looked at all
the keys in the block and didn't take any shortcuts.

I'm still waiting for this or any verification to be implemented and
smile every time I here about bogus clients racking up stat points.