[Hardware] The market of ASICs (One GigaKey / Second?)

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Aug 10 02:09:58 EDT 2004

> From: Elektron <elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca>
> On 10 Aug, 2004, at 10:09, Dan Oetting wrote:
>
> > I'm still waiting for this or any verification to be implemented and
> > smile every time I here about bogus clients racking up stat points.
>
> Which is really easy to do.
>
> There's also no easy way to verify bogus results - you could force the
> client to check for a key in the block which causes the encrypted
> output to match some 32-bit value specified by the server, and if it
> tried to 'cheat', something in stats would know. But no matter what you
> do, it's always possible for some blocks to get into stats (until
> you're found out and the blocks are purged).
>
> The current method is probably 'good enough', though. With register
> usage a concern on the x86 and others, the penalty isn't really worth
> the trouble, since all blocks are checked twice anyway.
>
> - Purr

And therein lies an interesting statistical delima. If 20% of your blocks
are from 500 people running bogus clients, there is a 20% chance the recheck
will also be bogus.

So if you get to the end, and do not find a solution, you have absolutely
no way to know why.

Changing the system to REQUIRE returning the XOR of all computed keys for
the block would allow statistical checking of every participant with a
very high probability of spotting bogus clients.