[Hardware] The market of ASICs (One GigaKey / Second?)

david fleischer cilantro_il at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 02:49:39 EDT 2004

The limiter is not the semiconductor, but other
factors. The random noise in the carriers goes down,
theoretically until absolute zero. Devices that work
on electric fields continue to work, only better.

At low temperatures the moisture from the air comes
out and bathes the chip in a poodle of water, thus it
needs to be constantly purged. Eventually what fails
is the package, or the bond wires, or both.

I made a theoretical calculation for 10degrees K, but
in practice the cooling will be much less. In an FPGA
the routing necessarily needs to be substantial and it
will tend to dominate the delay. Thus the speed-up
will be modest. Perhaps less than 10%.