[Hardware] Notes... The case for an open client

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Aug 14 01:17:32 EDT 2004

	On Aug 13, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Steven Nikkel wrote:
	> I think you might have a misunderstanding of D.net. We gladly welcome
	> new people and would especially welcome you to port the client to a
	> hardware/FPGA based cruncher.

	> Rather suggestions for improvements arrive on a
	> regular basis. While these ideas aren't rejected, they may not see the
	> light
	> of day for a period of time. D.net is a volunteer based organization
	> and as
	> such there is often a lack of time or expertise required to implement
	> the
	> suggestion. As for the closed source, this document provides a good
	> background on the reasoning:
	> http://www.distributed.net/source/specs/opcodeauth.html

I understand d.net clearly, and you frame the problem right on the head
in this last paragraph. D.net lacks the resources to embrace thousands of
researchers, hobbists, and students working on this problem world wide.

The answer, if it wasn't clear, is instead of being the bottleneck holding
back innovation, please help re-engineer d.net to helping, instead in hindering.