[Hardware] Notes... The case for an open client

david fleischer cilantro_il at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 03:26:03 EDT 2004

How about this:
We can use the core for educational purposes of
building a hardware cruncher and test it in the
harness that is provided.
If a particular cruncher is easy to use and reaches a
key rate of ~150Mkeys/s and we ask them nicely, the
D.net folks will be hard pressed to turn it down.
Am I correct that if we demonstrate a cruncher that
works in the harness, it will be no problem later to
integrate it into the client?
The first jump in the stats may be given by increasing
the key rate past what the PC boxes can do. The second
jump by using multiple parallel cores in the hardware
cruncher itself; and the third dimension is having
many users run the cruncher.
This is superior to having someone rent space for a
compute farm.

david

http://www.distributed.net/source/specs/opcodeauth.html