[Hardware] Notes... The case for an open client

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 15 16:46:11 EDT 2004

> ASCII files are a horror to parse in perl?, or python? Sure beats
> having
> to release several hundred binary P2P clients

Huge ones, yes. They take way too long to load. And I hate python, but
that's probably just me.

>> Because there aren't 256 big projects yet.
>
> It's not an issue of big projects, but an issue of freedom of
> choice in choosing key spaces to search. As Dan earlier put it
> not having a chance of finding the key because of luck of the
> draw locking you into the key space where it was not.

It's still luck anyway. And if you want, feel free to search whatever
keyspace you wish.

> The only reason to have such coarse granularity, is to support
> competitive non-cooperating efforts to search keys, where near realtime
> sharing of searched key space was prohibitive.

Everyone should use d.net!

The problem with splitting it up a lot is then you have the problem of
trusting people to search those blocks. You may work on your
competition's blocks first, to try to stop them from finding the key
(I'm not sure if this actually works though). There is also a high
potential of sabotaging the entire project, unless you can find a lot
of trusted servers (and projects willing to cooperate). And then, you
don't get as nice stats.

- Purr