[Hardware] Notes... The case for an open client

Dan Oetting dan_oetting at uswest.net
Mon Aug 16 13:32:25 EDT 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Elektron wrote:

>> Maybe a trick can be found to handle byte reversed increments in all
>> hardware cores. This is a "key" issue that needs to be resolved
>> before the hardware project can move forward. Once the key order is
>> sorted out we will be ready to turn on the hardware. Key servers or
>> interfacing with d.net can actually come later as long as the output
>> from the hardware cores is safely recorded. Such is the advantage of
>> being open.
>
> Byte-reversed adds are easy. You just wire the carry bits differently.

That works if you are doing adds as 32 bit words. For a serial bit
stream you have the bits in one order for the increment then they get
chopped up and reordered before feeding in as the initial L values of
the first round. Feeding through something like a barrel shifter or
breaking each word into 4 individual bytes  would probably work but
it's still a little extra overhead.

Do we accept the extra overhead for compatibility or find the easiest
possible implementation for the cores? Adaption of the software cores
to join the hardware project will be relatively easy and may even make
them faster.