[Hardware] Doing a custom design

Dan Oetting dan_oetting at uswest.net
Mon Aug 23 12:26:59 EDT 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 8:33 PM, jbass at dmsd.com wrote:

> The project could then eval the proto design, do a second if needed,
> then
> look for support to do a larger run on a larger die.

I would look to see if such support existed first before sinking real
money into the prototype. For $2000 you get a set of chips that
presuming they can each crank through 1 giga-keys/sec would take an
average of about 5000 years to crack the code.

Is there a market for these devices? Considering their very specialized
use there are only a few potential markets. The most promising might be
the stats addicts. How much are they willing to pay for a stats boost?
Will they pre-pay to fund the R&D and production costs?

The other funding source would be an organization like EFF. They did it
once with DES to prove that the existing encryption laws were too
restrictive. I don't think they have anything more to prove but if they
did they would want to run the project themselves.

What kind of key rates do you think could be hit with the various die
sizes? What will the power and cooling requirements be?